Sunday 24 February 2019

Sunday Stitch School - Revision: Stitches 86 - 90

The last five stitches have all been very different. Anklet Stitch was a new find, Open Wave Stitch a nice filling stitch, Zig-zag Cable Chain a revelation, Chequered Chain Band a source of great confusion and finally Methodist Knot Stitch an easy and interesting linear stitch.

Let's review them. Click on the title for instructions and related blogposts.

86 Anklet Stitch
I found this stitch in a Swedish book, it turns out it is an Indian stitch, called Muvvala, which means anklet.
I like the potential this has to make a nice border, or to be used as individual ornamental stitches.
It is slightly difficult to get even on plain weave, but on Aida or even weave you get instant success.

87 Open Wave Stitch
This stitch is great for quickly filling a large area.

88 Zig-zag Cable Chain Stitch
I am sure I am not the only one who has had problems with making the Zig-zag Chain Stitch lie flat and even. 
It has a sister stitch, the cabled version, Zig-zag Cable Chain Stitch, and this is the solution to our problems. That little cable link is all that is needed to tame the unruly loops.

What a stitch! I found it in books and online, but all instructions were confusing. 
So I thought I was smart when I made my own photo instructions and marked the most important of the four threads with a star. 
However, where I found this easy to understand, my photos have been confusing for others. Instead of a nice 'Magic Chain' look, the threads tangled up in knots. I am so sorry for all the 'try, and try agains' that have been going on.
I have now updated the instructions with additional photos that I hope clear up the knotty problem.

This is basically a quilting stitch, used by Methodists obviously.
It uses up a LOT of thread as it is based on Back Stitch, and is difficult to reverse stitch.
Furthermore, on the back, you get 'toe-catching' long stitches.
On the other hand, it is a sturdy and strong stitch holding the layers together, and to boot, it's easy to stitch.

Homework:
As usual, the revision homework is to use the five stitches above in a Sunbonnet Sue design.
What is Sue up to this time, I wonder?


4 comments:

Pamela said...

I wonder also!

Rachel said...

Perhaps Sue is up to Mischief?

Janie said...

Maybe in a winter wonderland?
Looking forward to that.

Julie Fukuda said...

I think Sue is watching and deciding which stitches she wants ... and they are probably the hardest ones if she is anything like my girls.