Wednesday 28 November 2018

WIPW - Busy, busy

I have been busy and can report on the following for Work In Progress Wednesday.

Greeting Cards
I have made two cards,
a Condolence card
Stitches used: Loopy Flower, Crown Stitch with  Lazy Daisy, God's Eye with French Knots and Corded Bar.

The other is a Thank You card and is the stumpwork portrait I showed a glimpse of before
Her hair is made of Chain Stitch, and the fringe of Straight Stitch.
I used Twisted Fly Stitch as a filling stitch for her blouse, and edged it with Twisted Shell Chain Stitch.


Experiments With Beads

The Queen of Beading, Angela, of Princess Bubbles Creates made some Funky Beaded French Knots, and I just had to try adding beads to some knot stitches.

First I placed the knot beside the bead

Then I placed the knot on top

I added a bead to the start of a Bullion Knot


It was fun to play with beads! Maybe I should add some beaded version to the Sunday Stitch School stitches...
Thank you Angela för the inspiration!

Crazy for Crazy

The Sweet Potato and Roast Chestnut block was put in a box and left to slumber while I think about what to do next.
No progress whatsoever.


Cathedral Window

I spent a lot of attention on this project. It was quick work, though, as I stitched by machine. 

 I cut 34 squares.

 I folded them in half.


 I stitched both short sides.


 I opened up, and paired up the sewn seams.


 I pinned, and stitched.

I left an opening, and turned each piece right side out.

 I turned in the raw edges of the opening.

I pressed.
 I folded each corner to the centre and pressed.

I fixed the four tips to the centre with a few stitches.


In total I prepared 34 blocks. It was so much quicker by machine, than when I made the first twenty blocks by hand.

Now I am ready to add 'glass' inserts to the sides of the bag, and I will do that by hand.
Then I will add glass to the back of the bag using another method, and take help of the sewing machine.

I hope to have more progress next week.

8 comments:

Elizabeth's quarters said...

That's a lot to report, when did you find time to eat?! As always, I love your stump portraits, they have so much character, the colours on this one are particularly lovely.

Janie said...

Good work on your projects. The cards and stump work portrait are beautiful. And you're making fast work of your cathedral windows.
I think beads with embroidery is a great mix too.

Pamela said...

You have been busy! The stumpwork portrait has such character!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Love the stump lady.

Rachel said...

That's a fabulous portrait - well done indeed!

Julie Fukuda said...

The cathedral window quilt I made so long ago was just folded twice to the center without stitching inside, and that is what I have done with slightly bigger blocks. The results are nit as good as on my big quilt, but I am not overly inspired. I like the effect of those batiks in the grey setting.

chitra said...

such beautiful projects! the cards are lovely! very interesting knotted beads. they are wonderful! very good progress on the blocks.

crazyQstitcher said...

Your postcards are lovely. The stumpwork lady is gorgeous. You always have a different slant on how to use new stitches. I don't think I would have thought of using Chain for hair.
The bead/French Knot looks intriguing and I'll be checking that one out. Thanks for sharing.
Your Windows are colourful and you made big progress.