Friday 25 May 2018

Friday Homework for Lesson 61: Raised Fishbone Stitch

My biggest impression of this stitch?

It's a thread eater. I had to re-thread the needle several times to complete the Aida Sampler, and for each time I felt I was wasting thread. I also noticed that it is hard to make leaf shaped patterns on Aida, that is why I just made a band. It looks good, but was tedious to make and used up a lot of thread that could have been used on another project.

Now for the pictures
 On the teal tailoring wool scribble cloth, two leaves in Perle #12, they could be fish!

 Sunday Stitch School Reference Chart! So much easier to work on plain weave cloth than Aida.

A dim picture of a band of Raised Fishbone Stitch on the Aida Sampler.This is not a good choice of fabric for the Raised Fishbone Stitch.


8 comments:

Pamela said...

I like how it looks with the varigated threads!

Rachel said...

Yes, it does guzzle thread. For that reason I tend only to use it when I want a particular leaf to seem raised or padded.

Janie said...

Yes, I can see a lot of thread was used.
I think the two on the blue fabric do look like fish.
It makes a braid that stands out.
I've seen it made fanned out and used as a fantasy stitch, maybe that was not 'raised'.

Queeniepatch said...

I think that is the best leaf, too.

Queeniepatch said...

It is a nice stitch for a padded look, but you do need a lot of thread.

Queeniepatch said...

I am sure you can 'tweak' this stitch a lot, although I had trouble making leaves look nice on Aida, that's why I made a braid instead. Fantasy stitch, ah, good idea.

carorose said...

One of my favourite stitches. It is so versatile.

Queeniepatch said...

I have seen it on the edge, binding two pieces of fabric together (I think it was one of your projects) and it looked so neat.