Sunday 11 June 2023

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 254: Alternating Mountmellick Stitch

Do you follow Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread? If you do, you will probably be familiar with her Stitch Play. This is a section where she makes changes to standard stitches, in a playful way, hence the name Stitch Play.

Among the stitches she has fiddled with is the charming Mountmellick Stitch, a favourite of mine. I am happy to learn an alternative version.

In Mary Corbet's article, you will see a laced version of Alternating Mountmellick Stitch. As I have not introduced this Alternating version yet, I'll start with that today and include the laced variety another time.

Check out Mary's clear instructions or follow my photo tutorial.










Homework:

Add here





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Corbett and her blog are fabulous! Your example of this stitch turned out beautifully!
Pamela

Angela said...

Your sampler pieces are stunning. Makes me want to start one.

Toki said...

Pamela introduced me to her blog when I started embroidering. At that time, I used it to study needles.

This stitch seems to play an active part in various scenes.

Rachel said...

Yes, it's a good, textured, stitch, with personality, isn't it!

Anonymous said...

Good tutorial and yes, there are many possibilities for Alternating Mountmellick Stitch. It will look different too on various fabrics and with looser tension, which adds to the fun.