I began this wall-hanging in July 2010, so it has taken a L O N G time to complete, but I can now finally hang it on the wall.
It measures 105 cm x 105 cm.
It all started with this contribution to the 2011 NHK Partnership quilt blocks:
I really enjoyed framing appliqué pieces with bias tape and then embellish the tape with embroidery. Why not make a quilt for myself?
With no clear idea of how I wanted the quilt to look when completed or what size it should become, I set about making four central blocks of flowers.
What follows is a brief description of the various borders, if you want to read more in detail please click on each link to go to previous blog posts.
A first border was added, embellished with an undulating bias tape onto which I have stitched sequins and embroidery.
Not satisfied with the size I added another border. By this time I had found inspiration in the pattern of an elegant old teacup and was very happy to add this design.
In a drawer I found a length of Jinny Beyer border print and used that for the next, narrow border. Then another border was added, with ric-rac and a central ornament.
Out of my stash I pulled a lacy trim which I stitched onto the next border with extra embroidery and ornamental corners. The second last border has chevron squares and sequins.
Last is a border of the remaining Jinny Beyer print, which I have simply quilted as it is quite attractive in itself.
Finally I turned the backing of the quilt to the front, overlapping the top and stitched on 848 blue and orange beads.