Wednesday 29 May 2024

WIPW - A Book Cover

 Here is this week's Work In Progress Wednesday report. I am happy to say I managed a lot of work.


Rescuing the Sweater

I completed the restoration work on both sleeves and can now pack away the sweater together with some mothballs. In autumn it will be lovely to once more put it on. I hope to wear the sweater for many more years to come.



Book Cover

I made a simple birthday present - a notebook cover. This pattern is for a reversible cover - the lining can become the outside cover if you turn the cover inside out. 

I had a piece of blue and white gingham check (used for the lining), a remnant of kimono cotton (Yukata) for the pockets and a fat quarter with a charming print designed by Mutsuko Yawatagaki. 

Ms Yawatagaki is a famous quilter who usually works with kimono silks. She operates a charming quilt art museum in the countryside and I bought the fabric from the museum shop some years ago. I was happy to use the fabric for this book cover.



By the way, my friend Pamela of Hokkaido Kudasai, made a beautiful wall hanging with fabric from Ms Yawagataki's collection.


Sunday Stitch School Stitch Sampler

I added one more stitch, #288 Fairy Lights Stitch to my sampler of Sunday Stitch School stitches. 
Rachel of Virtuosew Adventures pointed out that metallic thread would be good for the Fairy Lights Stitch. She is so right! The lights glint and glow!


I threaded the needle with three colours and started with red metallic. After three 'lightbulbs', I switched to the blue thread, and so on. The non-visible threads are wrapped over the Running Stitch on the back of the fabric.


The Green Man - Final Work

Do you remember What's In A Quilt - The Green Man?


Click on the link to see the start of the embellishment of the bias tape.  

Life got in the way and I never completed the Herringbone stitches. Until now that is. I started on the embellishments again, finished the HB stitches and began adding French Knots.



A New Start - Hexablooms


So many bloggers work on Hexagon quilts. Whenever I see these English Paper Pieced quilts I feel an itch in my fingers - I want to make such a quilt, too! The problem is finding time for quilting...

Then I threw caution to the wind and decided to indulge in a SLOW project. 
I will collect any piece of scrap cardboard, e.g. food containers, that otherwise would end up in the recycle bin, and cut out hexagon shapes. 
I will then make use of the many small scraps of fabric I have in my stash to make flowers for my Hexablooms quilt.

It will be a SLOW project, without any time limit, I might be working on this new quilt, a large one, for 10 years or more! No pressure allowed!
















6 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

How wonderful! Your sweater looks like new.
I have a favourite old yellow wool cardigan. I've reknitted parts of of it, and mended patches with Swiss darning countless times, but I've finally used up all my spare yellow wool, and the whole jersey is getting thin. I think it's time to retire it.
I love the three colours for the string of coloured lights. It's cheerfully Christmassy.

Pamela said...

Good for you on repairing the sweater. Too many people just buy another. It’s nice to see you starting a hexagon paper piecing project. I have enjoyed many hours (years?) of wonderful slow stitching hexagons.

Rachel said...

I love the ingenuity of your tricolour fairy lights!

carorose said...

There is some thing about saving a piece of clothing we love. I think it is good for the soul. And Hexi's, I have boxes of them and no idea what I will do with all the ones I have covered. Maybe my daughter will use them?

Toki said...

Very nice book cover.😊
I don't think I'll ever forget Green Man. Because it has an impact.😵
I want you to enjoy Hexagon project at your own pace.🙋

Angela said...

You have been busy! I love the book cover!