Sunday 5 May 2024

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 286: Reverse Chain Stitch

I realised a basic stitch was missing in Sunday Stitch School's collection - Reverse Chain Stitch. So let's learn it today.

Follow my pictorial instructions, or check out Royal School Of Needlework's Stitch Bank.

Start with a small Straight Stitch. This will be your 'anchoring stitch'.


Now come out a bit below, where you want the first link to end.
Take the needle behind the Straight Stitch, without entering the fabric.

Then go down and insert the needle where it came out, thus creating the first link in the chain.

Come out where you want to place the second link. Continue in the same way



until you have as long a chain as you want. Fasten the thread on the back.
The stitch curves beautifully.

Homework: Add here:






5 comments:

Pamela said...

Looks very nice!

Angela said...

That looks like an easy one! Might be the first one added to my May slice.

Rachel said...

Reverse chain is much easier to do that ordinary chain if your fabric is in a frame or hoop, and I find it easier to keep the stitch length even, too.

Janie said...

I like how the Reverse Chain Stitch lays and takes a curve. I'm going to try that one out, thanks for sharing.

Toki said...

I love chain stitch. Beautiful reverse chain.😊