Sunday 7 January 2024

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 275: Griffin Stitch

How about starting the school year here at Sunday Stitch School with a complex-looking, yet supposedly easy-to-do stitch? Let's try the Griffin Stitch.

The best instructions I have found are at Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread. Have a look at her clear tutorial here.

I made this photo guide as I worked my way through the stitch:

The first thing I did was to make a paper grid and check the placements of the stitch lines.




I planned to do the red lines first, starting at A and finishing at Z.
After that I'd do the blue lines in the same manner.

Once the planning was done, I then marked the area on the fabric with the help of pins.

and started stitching.




With the vertical and horizontal grid completed, it was time for the diagonal lines.

I checked the placement of the diagonal lines - did they go right across the stitched squares? Yes.





It is time for the green thread to couch down the single crosses.




Finally, I let the blue thread go over and under the double crosses.





 

 

and here we are!


Change the green and blue threads for thicker ones, or use metallic thread or wool.

Was this stitch complex? Yes. Was it easy to do? Well...it was a bit messy, before I got the grip of it. 

Homework:
Add here.



























5 comments:

Angela said...

It looks amazing!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Wow :) I might try it.

Pamela said...

This is a new to me stitch. I like it!

Rachel said...

Golly Gosh! As you say, there's a lot of that stitch to get through! I wonder what Sue will be doing with it...!

Toki said...

How beautiful.😂
The design is similar to Sashiko. I feel like I can do it if I follow your instructions, but it seems a little complicated.
Blue and green are effective.