Wednesday 27 March 2019

WIPW - Like a Hot Knife Through Butter

Work In Progress Wednesday reports on three projects:

Crazy for Crazy
I was reading VirtuoSew Adventures, the blog of Rachel, where she writes about a beautiful Jacobean Coat she is embellishing with felt and stitches. She had added Crested Chain Stitch to one area. It is a stitch I have not used for a LONG time, almost six years!  I just had to add it to a seam on my crazy quilt block.
Thank you Rachel, for the inspiration.
I also added a lattice on top of the velvet pattern of a piece in the centre.



BES
I have made some progress on the Brazilian Embroidery Study.
There is a new stem,  some leaves and flowers.
Stem in Whipped Chain Stitch,
two leaves in Closed Cretan Stitch,
a number of leaves in Buttonhole Bar Stitch,
flowers in Half Buttonhole Wheel Stitch

Vaxholmskudden
I made a rough sketch for the design on this cushion, made some cardboard templates, and started stitching.

First I appliquéd a circle of polkadot cotton on the wool base fabric. The pink felt heart is appliquéd, too, with short Straight Stitch. Two 'wings' were Stem Stitched, inside are lines of Whipped Running Stitch and circles in Stem Stitch.
Stitching this wool is like pushing a hot knife through butter! 


10 comments:

Rachel said...

Stitching on wool is a wonderful experience, isn't it!

I'm so pleased to have reminded you of crested chain - it fits in beautifully here.

Elizabeth's quarters said...

I totally agree about stitching into felt, it is so accommodating and the stitches just seem to sink into it as if they've found their perfect home. This cushion is going to look wonderful!

Shirlee Fassell said...

Never heard of the crested chain stitch I will have to try it! Thanks

chitra said...

Good and interesting progress on all the three projects. CQ block looks lovely. Brazilian embroidery- nice to learn a new embroidery. looks attractive. The cushion looks cozy! keep stitching!

FlashinScissors said...

My goodness! Your stitches look amazing!
Love that crested chain stitch, it looks really pretty!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

You've made some lovely progress this week. I like the addition of the crested chain stitch.

Pamela said...

You have really accomplished a lot this week. I love the sheen on the rayon threads. I always like working with wool felt, but sometimes I forget about it because there are so many types of stitching I enjoy.

Janie said...

Great stitching!
I like the lattice and your Brazillion embroidery.
And look forward to more on your Vaxholmskudden.

Tanya said...

You have so much detail now in your purple crazy for crazy block! Beautiful!

carorose said...

You must have been burning the midnight oil to get so mutch stitching done!
Love the wool cushion.