It stands for Work in Progress Wednesday and was started by Sharon Boggon of Pintangle.
Once I got into the habit of reporting my progress on needlework or quilting project every Wednesday, I seem to push myself to have at least a little bit of progress to blog about. With this routine I can see and measure how a project develops. It was good to hold onto it with the Trinity Green quilt as there were so many stages and it took such a long time. Without it I just might have been tempted to shelve the quilt.
So what progress have I got to report on this dull and cloudy Wednesday in Tokyo?
A catch up and a start.
TAST: I have filled in #147 Raised Cretan
Sunday Stitch School: I have added every one of the 38 stitches learned so far:
I had to use a piece of waste canvas to get the Hungarian stitches even, but it was worth it.
There is space for only four more stitches, then I will have to make a new chart.
Whenever I visit a major quilt show in Japan (Yokohama International Quilt Week (sadly no longer hosted) and Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival) I enjoy admiring Fumiko Nakayama's stunning Mola quilts.
Last January at the TIGQF in Tokyo Dome, my friends Julie, Tanya and I decided we would challenge ourselves into making something Mola.
Tanya has already made some charming Japanese zodiac signs, and Julie is working hard on a waist coat.
It is high time I got started on the bag I am planning to make.
Not having much of a clue as how these quilts are appliquéd, I went to the library and borrowed one of Ms Nakayama's books. I have also checked the internet for information.
First I had to draw some kind of design. I settled for a floral motif.
I also needed to try the technique out on a small sampler. So I traced a star on a piece of black fabric, placed a red and then a brown piece of fabric underneath. I basted the three layers together. Then I cut open a slit in the black fabric and started reverse appliquéing the black fabric so the red would be visible.
Once that was done, I cut the red fabric and revere appliquéd it, too. As you can see I am not finished yet.
The next step to learn is cutting slits outside the star and adding small pieces of other colours underneath like you can see on the book cover (turquoise slits at the top).