Sunday 22 July 2018

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 69: Point Russe Stitch

Last stitch took us to Scotland and Greece with the Scottish Cretan Stitch, now we are in Russia.
The Point Russe Stitch was found in Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches. It is simple and easy, just make five straight stitches in an arch.

Have a look:



To make even stitches on plain weave, it is a good idea to make a template and mark the fabric.

Homework:
Add stitches to these three pieces.

Then just imagine all the things you can do with the basic stitch.... changing the length and width of the legs,  adding knots, beads, placing a button at the bottom, using the legs for needle weaving... isn't this the ultimate embellishing stitch for crazy quilting?

12 comments:

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I see fingers for a creature

Janie said...

Point Russe stitch, yes that looks like it has endless possibilities for variations.
You hit the jack pot with this stitch Queenie.

Pamela said...

Looks simple, but I imagine it is difficult to get it even. I look forward to seeing how you do with the templates.

Queeniepatch said...

I do too, now that you have pointed it out! Thanks!

Queeniepatch said...

I think it will be a smart foundation stitch to add other stitches to get variation.

Queeniepatch said...

The templates were very useful!

crazyQstitcher said...

This one looks quite simple. Playing with it should be fun. You do find different stitches, Queenie.

Rachel said...

Maybe a scalloped edge for something, too?

Queeniepatch said...

At first I didn't think this would qualify as a single stitch, after all it is made up of five Straight Stitches. I wanted to include it in SSS as I think it can be used and played with in so many ways.
Back to my playroom!

Queeniepatch said...

Good idea! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

le nom français est simple :
- point russe
également trouvé dans le Mary Thomas et nulle part ailleurs
Voilà
Mattia

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, I guessed as much. Point Russe must be a French name. I haven't seen this stitch anywhere than in MT's Dictionary either.