Sunday 15 July 2018

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 68: Scottish Cretan Stitch

Today we are visiting Scotland and working on the Scottish Cretan Stitch which I found in Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches.
Updated: As usual Mattia has provided the French name which is: Point Crétois en Pavés

By stitching three Cretan Stitches and then wrapping them together you get a nice thick stitch. Use it individually or make a chain of stitches.

Here is how:
Make a single Cretan Stitch,

and two more.
When you have a group of three, insert the needle underneath the three bottom legs, not catching any of the fabric,

 then pass the needle through the three legs at the top.


 Make another set of three Cretan Stitches, and wrap them in the same way.

 Continue until you have as many sets as you like.

Homework:
Sunday Stitch Reference Chart
Aida Sampler
Linen Table Cloth

14 comments:

carorose said...

I do like this one. I am doing a workshop on Cretian Stitch soon but I don't think this one will be in it.

Lyn Warner said...

You do find such interesting stitches! Although I have seen a few of them in an early edition of Mary Thomas it's only when you put up your photos and they are stitched that you really see their full effect.

Pamela said...

I like this stitch!

Queeniepatch said...

As you know Cretan Stitch is one of the most popular and important in crazy quilting - there are so many things one can do, and here is a nice way to turn it into a 'blob'. I love it!

Queeniepatch said...

Hi Lyn,
One should never judge a stitch from the pictures in a stitch dictionary - you need to try them out yourself. This one is easy to do and gives instant satisfaction. I really like it.

Queeniepatch said...

Give it a try and you will LOVE it! That is how I changed liking it to loving it!

Rachel said...

It does create an interesting variation. I suppose it could be varied again with different numbers of stitches grouped...

Anonymous said...

Le nom français de ce point, dans le M.Thomas, est :
- point crétois en pavés
Si je traduis littéralement le nom anglais ça serait :
- point crétois écossais mais je n'ai rien trouvé dans mes livres ni sur internet.
Voilà, et merci pour ce nouveau point
Mattia

Queeniepatch said...

Says Google Translate:
The French name of this point, in M.Thomas, is:
- Cretan point in cobblestones
If I literally translate the English name it would be:
- Scottish Cretan point but I did not find anything in my books or on the internet.
That's it, and thanks for this new point

Thank you Mattia for your information.
It is a nice stitch so please try it.

Queeniepatch said...

Certainly, and with different height of the legs, or uee a variegated thread for a surprising look....

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Cretan stitch is one of my old favourites, you can do so much with it.

Queeniepatch said...

It is easy to do, and simply with changing the spacing make it look totally different. For cq you can then add so many other stitches or beads to build up fantastic patterns and floral designs. This stitch is a good addition to the basic Cretan Stitch.

crazyQstitcher said...

This certainly changes the appearance of the Cretan stitching. I like the way it snuggles together when grouped.

Queeniepatch said...

It does, doesn't it? The more I use it, the more I like it.