Sunday 11 March 2018

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 54: Tramming

It is time for another history lesson at Sunday Stitch School. Today we are once again looking at Needlepoint. I am referring to Jacqui Carey's Elizabethan Stitches where she writes about Tramming.

Tramming, or Tramé, is a technique where a thread is laid underneath the actual stitches. In a way it is Couching, but not for the purpose of fastening a fancy thread here and there.

Instead the tramming thread the stitches are used over is used to strengthening the stitching for cushions, seat covers etc and also to raise the stitches a bit from the fabric.

Many stitches can be trammed, maybe Half Stitch and Cross Stitch are the most common.

Mattia has supplied two French names:
Point tramé  and
- point de tissage

It is also a smart way to mark the design on cross stitch (so you don't need to refer to the chart) as shown in this article by Needlepoint Teacher.

I will, however, work this lesson in Elizabethan Half Stitch, and for clarity, on Aida:

Begin by stretching a thread from top to bottom.
Come out at the left,
make a half cross and 

work your way up to the top

stretch the thread from top to bottom as before and continue in the same way upwards.

Homework:
Sunday Stitch School Reference Chart
Aida sampler
A border of Trammed Elizabethan Half Stitch on the linen




16 comments:

jacaranda said...

A beautiful piece of linen.

Janie said...

Hi Queenie, thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Yes, you are a great resource for me to be able to 'see' the Tokyo Great quilt festival, thanks for your insight.
Tramming does look like a good idea for marking the pattern so as to not have to constantly be checking the graph, plus padding and strengthening are useful.

Pamela said...

Interesting! Tramming is new to me.

crazyQstitcher said...

I've not heard of this stitch. I can see the tramming would make the work more solid. ie. not move as much with constant use.

Anonymous said...

J'ai trouvé ce point sous le nom de :
- Point tramé
- point de tissage
dans l'encyclopédie de Thérèse de Dillmont dans la catégorie tapisserie
Mattia

Rachel said...

When I was younger there were still a few companies that provided trammed canvases for people to work. I think it might have felt more "serious" than painted canvases!

Queeniepatch said...

Penelope or double canvas is the 'right' fabric for Crammed Half Stitch, but I will try it out on the linen.

Queeniepatch said...

Rachel, see below, mentioned an interesting fact - in the past kits were sold with the design already marked with tramming.

Queeniepatch said...

I have seen it, but did not know the name until I did my research. I am learning so much at Sunday Stitch School!!!!

Queeniepatch said...

In some Cross Stitch designs the marking is done in a very fine thread, just to mark the pattern on the canvas (instead of painting). In Elizabethan Needlepoint it seems to be used with the same thread as the actual stitching.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you for the information , I have now updated the blog post.

Queeniepatch said...

That's very interesting! Thank you for sharing this piece of information.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the info, it's new to me.

Queeniepatch said...

I tried it out on the fine Aida sampler last night, and it makes a very nice tight line, almost a braid.

FlashinScissors said...

I hadn’t heard of tramming. I sometimes lose count on the number of stitches I’m using in a row on my cross stitch, especially when I’m travelling on the train ..... I must see if this helps. Thanks for the idea, Queenie!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Queeniepatch said...

It would look much nicer than the painted version of cross stitch design, and on the train, there is no need for a paper chart. A smart travel project!