Friday 9 March 2018

Friday Homework for Lesson 53: Sword Edging Stitch

I have not only done my homework, I have found out something important.
This stitch is a TAST stitch!

Sharon Boggon of Pintangle started the online course of embroidery stitches, TAST (Take A Stitch Tuesday) in 2007.

I first took part in TAST in 2012 and worked the stitches that followed regularly until 2014 when I had a complete set of stitches, or so I thought. This stitch was not included.

After some research I noticed that there were a few TAST stitches from earlier seasons that I had missed, so those were added. This stitch was not one of them.

Thanks to my readers I found out that what I call Sword Edging Stitch and gave Sunday Stitch School number 53, was introduced in 2010 as TAST Stitch #17 under the name Sword Stitch. I totally missed that!

Anyway, I just love this stitch. It is easy and quick and I think it can be used in many ways.

Here is my homework:

Aida sampler


Sunday Stitch School Reference Chart

and on the orange scribble cloth I worked three flowers:
To spice them up a bit I added a few Colonial Knots in the centre and made a stem of Stem Stitch.

This stitch could also be used to illustrate fireworks, a picket fence, crosses and of course, swords!



12 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I like the way it works with the flowers. I wonder which stitch has the widest variety of names.

Rachel said...

Yes, it's more useful, and more versatile, than we sometimes think!

Queeniepatch said...

I have no idea, but if you count the nicknames and foreign names as well, some stitches must have really many names.

Queeniepatch said...

I think it is a great stitch for the creative stitcher, but boring to those who prefer stitching others' designs or kits.

Pamela said...

This was perfect for the flowers. It's good to try other directions and not just get stuck with stitches one way.

Queeniepatch said...

If I may say so myself, I am rather pleased with the result!

crazyQstitcher said...

I know I've made this stitch but cannot find a single photo or reference to one. It is easy to do so I'll experiment again. I like your use of the stitch with flowers.

Queeniepatch said...

It was in TAST2012, around July/August and numbered 17, if that is any help.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

It works really well for the flowers.

Annet said...

Your sword stitches make some pretty flowers!

Queeniepatch said...

Thanks, I think so to.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you. I like them, too, and think you can make many more things with this stitch.