Friday 30 March 2018

Friday Extended Homework for: Tailor's Buttonhole Stitch

So here is my second, and third attempt at making a handmade keyhole buttonhole.

Last week's unsuccessful keyhole on the left.



This week's on the right, and this time it WAS stitched in the right direction. It is just slightly more tidy than the first attempt, and once again the light gray gimp shows through the stitches.

I then made a third buttonhole, using felt, so there was no need to worry about fraying.
They say that practice makes perfect. Well, at least practice gives a bit of improvement, even if only slight.

What have I learned?

  1. Practice, and you will improve.
  2. Get into a rhythm and don't stop once you have started stitching. This is the best way to make even-ish stitches.
  3. Make sure the gimp and buttonhole silk match the fabric (unless you want a contrasting look).
  4. Use a generous length of thread. To cast on the thread you need to have enough thread to maneuver.
  5. It was worth repeating the lesson. 

6 comments:

Pamela said...

Your lessons learned are good advice for other stitchers. Although I know practice will improve what I sttich, I often jump on to the next thing. I need to practice more to make improvements!

Queeniepatch said...

aren't we all somewhat impatient to go on to a new project rather than practice on something we haven't mastered? I am glad I did this extra homework assignment.

Rachel said...

Yes, and it is well worth using a good quality buttonhole thread, rather than improvising with stranded cotton, which I've tried myself in the past without success!

Queeniepatch said...

I have quite a lot of buttonhole thread (mother's stash) but it is old and in need of wax and hot iron treatment.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

The practice is helping, I can see an improvement.

Queeniepatch said...

I am glad to hear that!