Tuesday 29 April 2014

TAST #108 Rice Stitch (and variations)

TAST #108 is named Rice Stitch. I wonder why. It does not look like a grain of rice to me. Does anyone know the origin of the name?

As I had never worked this stitch before I first made a sample on Aida, which turned out nicely I think.
 The top row shows the original stitch with one beam across the foundation cross stitch.
 Underneath are two variations with several stitches across the arms of the cross stitch.
I used stranded floss.

I then worked two rows on my other sampler.
I stitched in Perle 8.

If you would like to learn the stitch and/or take part in TAST (Take A Stitch Tuesday) click here and the link will take you to Sharon B's Pintangle.

14 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

The stitch is lovely and the variations are great too.

margaret said...

sorry can not help with the name, like what you have done here and this stitch works very well on canvas too with a thicker thread

Pamela said...

Very colorful rice!

Chris(craft) and Dave(photos) Richards said...

Hi Queeni, it looks quite different in perle thread compared to floss !
Perfect for a sampler.......And so many variations !!
Have a lovely week dear friend,
Hugs
Chris Richards
xxxxx

crazyQstitcher said...

Hi Queenie, I saw this link about Rice stitch at
http://www.embroidery.rocksea.org/stitch/straight-stitch/rice-stitch/.

Queeniepatch said...

You can do a lot with this stitch, beautiful borders, large filled in areas or detached stitches.

Queeniepatch said...

It is very versatile and perfect when you want a geometric look.

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, indeed. When I went to Hirosaki I bought black rice, red rice, and I am sure there is purple and green rice, too somewhere in the world!

Queeniepatch said...

The thread makes it! Maureen at CrazyQstitcher (see below) made a beautiful version with beads and silk ribbon!

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you, Maureen, for the link. It was interesting to read the comments and to find all the various names for the OTHER rice stitch, or rice grain stitch.
I have been thinking if TAST#108 Rice stitch could have been named after the Chinese (and Japanese) kanji character for rice. It is not the same but resembles it.

Angela said...

Gorgeous stitching!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I tried to add a link yesterday from my tablet about rice stitch but I couldn't do it, so here it is now, you're right about kanji.
http://www.designbyaika.com/sashiko-discussions/gohan-japanese-rice/
Lovely stitching.

Annet said...

Love your variations! There are so many ways to experiment with rice stitch. It's next on my list for catching up TAST, I'm looking forward to play with it!

Séverine said...

Your variations of the rice stitch are beautiful