Wednesday, 17 December 2014

WIPW - The last spurt.

My Work In Progress Wednedsday report is shorter than usual this week. The Swedish cushion was completed last week and is of course off the list, there is No TAST reference chart work to report on either, but I've made progress on:

I have prepared the hanging sleeve, but not stitched it on yet. The label itself is on, but the decorative lace and appliqué is not completed. I'll add embroidery with the perle 8 seen in the photo.
It is the beginning of the last spurt.

Pile 'em On
I added more thread play to the tangle. One addition was the keyring with trapped thread ends. I wrote about the process here. As usual I got good feedback from my online friends. Thank you so much.
Chris Richards suggested adding a pearl or jewel in the centre. I think I will act on that suggestion, once the piece is finished.
By the way, Chris has made some fantastic bead embroidery. Check this one out.
After seeing Annet's WIPW and Royce's Schwalm embroidery my fingers are itching to start on some different work outside the large tangled circle. I think it is time for some order in the mess!

TASTy Beads Galore
I tried to improve the flower that Chitra gave inspiration to. I have added stronger coloured thread. Unfortunately the red fabric steals the show with its overpowering raspberry red.
The flowers have grown in size with more Beaded Barb Stitches and there is also a Beaded Barb Stitched stem.
It is time to move on to another beaded TAST stitch for next week. Séverine's fantastic work has given me a lot of inspiration.

There is even more Work In Progress Wednesday inspiration to be found at Sharon's website, Pintangle. Click on the link and see what others have made.

Sunday, 14 December 2014

Trapping Orts in a Ring

Here is a new tip for what to do with short orts.

If you have a spare key ring like the one in the photo, and snippets of thread,
trap the orts between the springs,
then fasten the orts to the fabric with a stitch. I used Back Stitch, then covered the remaining metal ring with Buttonhole Stitch.
If you give it a try, I hope you'll have as much fun as I did.

Wednesday, 10 December 2014

WIPW - The Swedish Cushion Completed!

If you click here and read the information on Pintangle you will learn all about Work In Progress Wednesday.

How quickly Wednesdays come around! It is time for another WIPW report.

I have completed the Woven Crosses that anchor the lace. That means that the top of the quilt is finished. Yes!  A picture will be shown next week.

Here I have collected the material for the hanging sleeve and the label that I hope to start work on soon.

Pile 'em On
More orts and stray thread have been worked into the 'mess'. The latest addition were the purls I made.

TASTy Beads Galore
I was most impressed by some stunning flowers Chitra, of Jizee6687's Weblog, made on her sampler with TAST #139 Beaded Barb Stitch. I wanted to make something similar. Alas, my colours are dull and the spacing not so impressive; I'll have to try again.
TAST Reference Chart
I stitched down the labels for the latest ten stitches.
Then I prepared another sheet for future TAST stitches. There are 81 squares! Sharon, I hope you don't feel this as any pressure, but I'd love to have them all filled with TAST stitches eventually!!!
Chicken Scratch
Out of the blue I had to make another train trip. I let the Chicken loose and she Scratched hard and actually completed the design.
Before I turn this into a cushion I will work another pattern of thread in some areas to add a bit of pizzaz.

The Swedish Cushion
A cushion that is completed, however, is the Swedish one.
The full panel looks like this:
and contains 124 different TAST stitches (the 16 beaded TAST stitches are not included). 
In addition I have used Cross stitch for the initials and Anundsjö Stitch for the small blue and yellow emblems.
If you look closely you can see that in many areas I have used a mirror image and tried to use stitches that were as similar on either side. In the end that gave me a headache; I had added TAST #132 Kiko's Flower in one of the paisley designs:
and got no TAST stitch that would balance the act in the other paisley. It felt as if I had painted myself into a corner and could not get out... What to do? Well, I had seen Kiko's Flower in the Totsuka Embrodery Stitch Book #8 and the same author has a similar stitch in another of her books, Basic Stitch, that looked about the same. So I added that, the Triangular Bullion Stitch:
So there are in total 127 different stitches.
The made up cushion looks like this on one side,

and this, on the other side.
Work on the cushion was started in the middle of August last year, and it has taken a year and a half to complete it.
The fabric is cotton and easy to work on, but hard to photograph. The threads are mainly perle 8, stranded floss and coton a broder. In each corner there is a tassel of red ribbon, and by opening the zipper on one side you can remove the inner cushion.
It will be a delight to have this cushion on display and I am sure it will give me a lot of inspiration for future projects.

Thank you for all the support and encouragement you have given me.

Friday, 5 December 2014

Turning orts into purl

While I was reading the comments on my blog post 'What to do with short orts' I started thinking of Goldwork and got the idea of making purl out of orts.

Instead of winding the short thread ends round a skewer I used a needle,

and soon had these pretty curls,
which I then filled with  strands of other threads.
The result was couched down on my 'Pile 'em On' piece.
As you can see, I messed them up a bit.

If I had starched the thread before curling it on the needle, or indeed added bond and let it dry, I would have got stiff purl, almost similar to Goldwork purl.