Sunday 7 January 2018

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 48: Detached Up and Down Buttonhole Stitch

Wishing you all a Happy New Year full of creative activities with needle and thread.

Let's begin the term with History.
Stitch #48 is an Elizabethan Stitch, the Detached Up and Down Buttonhole Stitch.
French name: point de feston filet

I found the stitch here at Baroque Embellishments, and I have never seen it before. Although it looks easy and great for filling in areas where you want a lot of texture, I will simply use it as a thick outline.

Work it like this:
First make a line of Running Stitch, (I did mine from right to left).
 Come out one step below the last Running Stitch.
Take the needle under the first rung of the Running Stitch, without biting the fabric. Keep the working thread under the needle.

 Next tug the thread upwards and take the needle under the same rung, but upwards. Keep the working thread under the needle.
Continue in the same way for each rung of the Running Stitch line.
When you come to the end of the line, anchor the thread just above the stitched line.

On my Aida sampler I got a nice braid-like line.


Homework:
Let some nice 'Elizabethan Braids' join the other stitches.
Experiment with different thread in the foundation Running Stitch and the Detached Up and Down Buttonhole Stitch.
Experiment with different tension.

16 comments:

Rachel said...

Your sampler is becoming a joyous tangle of textures - great fun!

Queeniepatch said...

I added two undulating lines and they look great with the other stitches. Tomorrow I hope to play with some different thread than the perle.

chitra said...

Looks like an interesting stitch. your sample on Aida looks lovely.

Queeniepatch said...

It is, and it is easy and fast, too. It adds a lot of structure and height. Give it a try!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

It's quite lacy looking.

Queeniepatch said...

Well, it depends on how tightly you pull the thread. It can be a hard rope or a line with lofty arches.

Janie said...

I agree that it does have a lacy look.
And it has the look of a crochet or knitting stitch.
'Elizabethan Braid' will add interest to the party for sure.

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, it has that crocheted or knitted look, and yes, it does look good with the stitches I have already made.
Tonight I will play with another thread.

carorose said...

I haven't seen this one either.

Pamela said...

I like the even look on the Aida sampler.

Queeniepatch said...

There are several 'detached buttonhole' stitches, with or without a cord, used in stump work and Elizabethan embroidery, but this is the only one I've seen with the up and down loops.

Annet said...

Never seen this pretty stitch, it's a nice filling stitch. It would be fun to experiment with!

Queeniepatch said...

It makes a nice curvy line, too.

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, it is a nice variation of the other Elizabethan filling stitches, but I think I like it best as a linear stitch.

crazyQstitcher said...

The method is new to me also. It looks very good on the Aida cloth.

Queeniepatch said...

It is a lovely stitch, and easy!