Sunday 24 March 2019

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 92: Parma Stitch

This is a stitch I could call 'The Lost and Found Stitch'. I learned it, forgot both how it is worked and its name, then with the help of a friend, found it again. This time I'd better be safe than sorry and feature it here on Sunday Stitch School, right away.

Parma Stitch
is a made up of three parallel rows of Chain Stitch, that are then buttonholed together into a textured 'braid'.
You can see and read more about this Italian stitch here, at Italian Needlework. Also check out Stitches Stories.

Work it like this:
Stitch three parallel columns of Chain Stitch.

Next, turn the work to get three horisontal rows of Chain Stitch. 
Use Buttonhole Stitch to join the chains.


I have used a different colour to clarify how to stitch, but you can use the same colour (green).

I have also used only one stitch to make the instructions clear.
For the proper stitch, add more Buttonhole Stitches, (see the blue Buttonhole stitches below).

Continue to join the middle and lower Chain Stitches together, work from down to up.


Here I have joined the Chains with groups of three blue Buttonhole Stitches.


When worked in the same coloured thread, you get a nice textured braid.
Don't you think it looks like crochet?

Homework:
Add Parma Stitch to these three samplers.



9 comments:

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I agree, the parma stitch looks like crochet.

Anonymous said...

Bonsoir, me voici de retour après une longue absence.
Je traduirais tout simplement ce point par :
- point de Parme
Voilà bonne soirée
Mattia

Janie said...

How fancy is that ?
Yes, it does look like crochet, a lacy patterned stitch.

crazyQstitcher said...

It is a good stitch and easy to do. Thanks for the Stitch Stories link. I had forgotten the site. The braid does look like crochet. Playtime coming up.

Pamela said...

This looks familiar. Maybe I learned it in a casalguidi project? Yours looks great!

Rachel said...

It makes a very useful braided line, doesn't it!

Tanya said...

It is amazing how complicated the stitching can get with just a few more ins and outs of the needle! All the new textures you can make are just like magic!

carorose said...

I love these layered stitches.

Susan said...

Oooh, now that's different! I will have to try it on aida first, but I do like it, especially the blue thread one.