Thursday 14 March 2019

Friday Revision Homework - Stitches 86 - 90

Finally, here is my homework for Sunday Stitch School's stitches 86 - 90. 

Once again I have made a portrait of Sunbonnet Sue. This time she is taking a stand against pollution and Global Warming. 

When Sue was a little girl in the early 60's she was taught not to drop litter - lollipop sticks and candy wrappers had to be taken home if no litter bin was in sight. In school she had lessons about the Håll Sverige Rent campaign, founded in 1963.

Then came the global trend to buy bottled water, soft drinks, take-out coffees, lunch boxes and fast food. As a result Sue sees plastic waste everywhere, also in the ocean, see the report from United Nations.

One day last summer, Sunbonnet Sue was walking past the Swedish Parliament in Stockholm and saw Greta Thunberg sitting with a placard 'School Strike for Climate'. Maybe there has been a strike in your country, too, (check the list).

Sue thought she needed to take some kind of action, too. She is no longer a school girl so instead of going on a strike, she donned goggles, a mask, wellingtons and protective gloves and started collecting litter.


........................

Methodist Stitch was a good linear stitch and I used it to outline most areas. I also used it as a filling stitch for the gloves.
'Knitting' the sweater with Chequered Chain Band took time, but now that the stitch is 'in my head' it was easy.
I licensed myself to tweak the Zig-zag Cable Chain to shape it into the banana skin.
The Open Wave Stitch was perfect for the net to collect litter in.
The Anklet Stitch ended up on the boots, as close to the ankle as possible!




10 comments:

Janie said...

Wow, great embroidery and design Queenie.
Sue is doing her civic duty, very responsible.

carorose said...

I do love this.

Lyn Warner said...

Love how Sunbonnet Sue has matured and sets a good example by cleaning up the plastic!

Elizabeth's quarters said...

I love her jumper and the mask is a great touch! I loathe litterbugs, my pet hates are chewing gum splats that disfigure pavements and cannot be got rid of, fast food packaging on public transport is another bugbear. We should all be a bit more Sun Bonnet Sue and look after the planet.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Good for you, Sue.
I like her patterned wellies.

chitra said...

what a thoughtful and beautiful idea conveyed through your revision stitches. good work! well done!

Rachel said...

Love your variety of versions of Sue!

FlashinScissors said...

This is brilliant! I always enjoy seeing your stitches!
You’ll never guess, DH and a neighbour went on an organised litter pick, only last weekend!! on a City of London Common. It was just a few hours but they collected many heavy sack loads of rubbish! So I really laughed when I saw your picture!
Barbara x

Pamela said...

Fabulous! I like the modern Sues.

crazyQstitcher said...

Oh what a Wonderful sampler. It's amazing how much rubbish is strewn everywhere these days.
After reading the information about Greta I have hope that other students and adults follow her ideas and try to rid the world of pollution. She is one amazing girl.

I admire your use of stitches for Sue. She makes me Smile.