Wednesday 20 February 2019

WIPW - In the Post

For this week's Work In Progress Wednesday report I can show three finishes and some purple progress.

Crazy for Crazy
I dug into my purple thread stash to add the following.



Punch Needle Greeting Card
I completed the punch needle design. This is the front.

 On the back the stitches are flatter.

To secure the stitches before cutting the loops open, I spread a thin layer of glue on the back.

 I then started cropping the loops into 'velvety' pile.
The easiest way is to fold the fabric over a finger to see where to cut.

The cut pile makes a deeper, darker shade of each thread.
Compare the uncut left side with the cut area on the the right.

Finally I made it into a card.
It's a rather gloomy card with the black background.
Lesson learned!

The second
Greeting Card
was sewn in the style of Karin Derland.
Instead of the boiled wool foundation I used felt from my stash.

The third
Greeting Card
project is completed, but I won't show any clear details yet. Here is a fuzzy teaser.


All three cards are now in the post.

Leafy Note

At the quilt show last month I was given a beautiful hand-bound notebook with a delicate leaf on the cover.
I decided to use the book to note down my needlework finishes 2019.
I am happy to add a number of new drawings for this WIPW report.





9 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I was wondering how those punch loops would be kept from pulling out. I have carpets made with loops like that and Nikko manages to remove rows of string.

Rachel said...

I suspect there is a lot to experiment with when it comes to punch needle, and in particular how the appearance of a thread changes when the loops are cut. A never-ending source of interest...

Pamela said...

Wow! Lots of stitching this week. Great that you were able to get the cards mailed.

chitra said...

Punch needle work quite interesting. Thanks for sharing the work process. Good you have used the SSS stitches on your block. lovely cards.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

I've seen a lot of punch needle lately - I think it's making something of a comeback! - but I've never seen anyone cut the loops, I love how that changes the texture to something like Turkey Work and makes the colours deeper :) Karin Derland does such interesting embroidery and the card you made in that style is so pretty! Also, I really like your idea of keeping a project journal with coloured sketches, seems like it would be a great memory jogger!

jacaranda said...

Busy with stitching, beautiful work. Enjoy your little journal of projects for this year.

FlashinScissors said...

You certainly made punch needle look very interesting, Queenie!
Your greetings cards look amazing, and I like the one in the style of Karin Derland!
Love the way your “crazy” piece is working out!
The notebook looks idea for keeping notes on your projects .... I have a similar system, but I forget to use it, tee hee!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

crazyQstitcher said...

Lots of lovely work to show. Cutting the wool makes the needlepunch work look like velvet - it does look richer when cut. I like the Karin Derland card very much. What a very nice idea to use the book for needlework memories.

Tanya said...

I was wondering how I was going to use my beautiful book too... hmmm quilt recording? It either will never get filled up or i’ll never have such a special book to record things again!