Sunday 3 February 2019

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 88: Zig-zag Cable Chain Stitch

Anyone who has tried the Zig-zag Chain Stitch and had problems with the loops being too loose should try the Zig-zag Cable Chain Stitch instead. It looks almost the same, but keeps the loops in check.
I have found this stitch in two places, Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches, and online at Sarah's Hand Embroidery Tutorials.

Work it like this
 First make a Chain Stitch.

 Pull the thread over and under the needle.

 Insert the tip of the needle into the fabric, and tighten the loop around the needle.

 Turn the needle and come out at a zig-zag angle of the first Chain Stitch.

 Make a new Chain Stitch.

Repeat the process.

 Make another Chain Stitch.

Work as many links as you need.

If you prefer to stitch away from you, check out the instructions at Sarah's Hand Embroidery Tutorials The pictures are much clearer than mine.

Homework:

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I think it's also in Yvette Stanton's Embroiderers Companions, for those who have either version.

Pamela said...

I like how this stitch keeps the chain from wobbling.

jacaranda said...

I like the zig zag chain stitch.

crazyQstitcher said...

How odd that I was just looking for that stitch and crossed over here to find it's your next lesson.
It's a good one too.

Julie Fukuda said...

I think I would have to mark the fabric to keep those loops in line and of an equal size. I do like the results you have gotten.