Tuesday 5 February 2019

18th Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival 2019 - 8 Take Away

When you are too busy to cook a meal, you can have a Take Away; Indian, burgers, Chinese, Pizza, 'obento' (lunchbox) or whatever.

Now what can you Take Away from a quilt show? Not food, not a packed meal, but inspiration, ideas, shopping, gifts,  and friendship.

Inspiration:
The fluffiness of these quilts made me think it is time to do some slashed quilting or Punch Needle embroidery.
Takako Makino (牧野孝子)

 
Cecile Franconie's fluffy embroidery (detail)

I can lighten my stash by making a pile of 'not-so-pretty' fabric, stitching them together in parallel lines, then slashing the top layers open.... I have the fabric as well as the slashing tool. I also have the punch needle set slumbering in a drawer. Time to wake them up!


Ideas:
Another way of using up small pieces would be to copy this kind of Boro quilting (rag quilting?) - sprinkle smaller pieces of scrap over a foundation fabric, then quilt with small sashiko stitches and finally lace the stitches, a kind of Cloud Filling quilting....
Chieko Okamura (岡村智子), 


Shopping:
I bought some plastic cupped discs for the Circle challenge
and some dove blue wool and blue braid/tape for a wool embroidery I am about to embark on.

Gifts:
Look what my friends showered me with


  • a book on cotton and indigo - I will have to look closer at indigo quilts in the future 
  • a knitted hat - perfect for the cold of Tokyo
  • a butterfly handkerchief bag - beautiful on the outside and slippery on the inside - the silk lining makes it so easy to slide things out and slip them in
  • a journal bound by hand - I have already started to record 'Queenie's Needlework 2019'


Friendship:
Thank you
Julie, Tanya, Jenni, Pamela and friends, master quilter Chikako Ueno, the lovely German shopkeeper we had coffee with, the many ladies who commented on my bag, the old lady who helped me on the way out, the festival staff who took our photos...
 


With Chikako Ueno (上野知佳子) in front of her beautiful quilt.


10 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

What a lovely way to reflect on an exhibition. Looks like you had a very good time too.

Julie Fukuda said...

I love the creativity of friends.
Long ago, when I was first introduces to cathedral windows, the teacher showed us how to make a pincushion using those blocks. I thought about it briefly but looking around at the number of pincushions that occupy space on my table ... I tossed out that idea and never got another one. My little bag will now need to get a pocket to hold the new gifted diary. Such great memories in your pictures.

carorose said...

Oh! Once again I say "I have to go to the Tokyo Quilt Show". I hate to think of the excess baggage charges I would have!

Pamela said...

Great post!

Rachel said...

Absolutely. The take-aways from such an event carry neither calories nor risk of upset tummies - only inspiration, happy memories (and possibly sore feet!).

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Boro quilting ...now that's an idea.

Janie said...

Wonderful takeaways!
And your Cathedral Window bag is beautiful.
Thanks for sharing all your fun and photos Queenie.

Elizabeth's quarters said...

There is something very appealing about making things while at the same time pulling or tearing things apart. ...Especially when it is intentional! I love the idea of a boro inspired piece.

FlashinScissors said...

Love the Boro quilting!
What gorgeous gifts you received!
How lovely for you all to meet up and enjoy all the stitching together!
Barbara x

Beatrice said...

Hello Queenie,,
thank you for sharing your photos of the quilt show with us.
Each year, I come back to your blog (I also read it, as a lurker, throughout the year!) to see whether you've managed to go to the show and meet up with your friends (Julie, Tanya and this year Jenni). It's always interesting to see your take on the show.
I have been to Japan, but never in January so your posts help me experience the shows and enjoy the quilts.
Keep up the good work and take care!
Beatrice (from France).