Wednesday 16 January 2019

WIPW - Cathedral Bosses

Work In Progress Wednesday today shows a new feature of church architecture.

In a high vaulted cathedral ceiling the spot where the arches joins, there is often an ornamental 'button' - a boss.

On my bag made out of

Cathedral Windows
the joints are covered with 'bosses' to hide the frayed and raw edges that peeked out of the joints.
I used small plastic cupped discs, covered them with blue batik and then couched some black thread around them.
Now the joints are secure.



Furthermore I have joined the back of the bag to the front + side sections,  and started adding turquoise 'glass' inserts.
I have added two, twelve to go.

Crazy for Crazy
Not much has happened here but, I added beads to the Stem stitched stems and a row of floral shaped sequins.







10 comments:

Rachel said...

The bosses make a perfect finishing touch!

Julie Fukuda said...

Wow, that is amazing. I am thinking I should have tried harder on my piece.
The beads are just perfect setting everything off.

Janie said...

I like your beads and sprays of flowers/vines on your crazy block.
And the center button is perfect, an added design element!
Beautiful colors and work, Queenie.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

The bosses are both decorative and functional.

Pamela said...

Great idea to use the little plastic disks! Can you believe it is almost time for the Tokyo Show? I hope I get to see this bag in person. Four of us from my stitch group are going to the show on Sunday.

crazyQstitcher said...

Love the C4C.
The CW back and sides look great but with the bosses added the design becomes something really special

chitra said...

The bosses cover up the frayed edges and look attractive too. good thinking and very neat work. the block is coming out very nice.

Lyn Warner said...

I love how much detail the bosses add. It's a very striking piece and just looking at it reminds me of a cathedral.

FlashinScissors said...

Your cathedral windows are looking so striking, and Crazy for Crazy is so pretty!
Well done Queenie!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Aurelia Eglantine said...

I love the addition of the bosses, not only are they practical to protect the joins from wear but they visually pick up on the circles of the "windows", adding additional interest to the eye :) Love the beads you chose for your quilt block too!