Friday 23 November 2018

Friday Revision Homework - Stitches 76 - 80

Winter in Sweden is cold and sometimes very gloomy, but most of all it is dark with few hours of daylight and little sunshine. Therefore December 13th is an important day in Sweden, when St Lucia comes with light. Read about Lucia here.

A couple of years ago I enjoyed creating a stumpwork portrait of the Queen of Light.

It was equally fun to dress Sunbonnet Sue up as Saint Lucia by using the five Sunday Stitch School stitches for this homework.





9 comments:

FlashinScissors said...

I hadn’t heard about this tradition before ..... it’s so nice to learn more about other countries’ traditions this way!
Thank you for the link, Queenie!
I love both of your Lucia’s, and what a lovely way to use your stitches!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Pamela said...

How creative you are!

crazyQstitcher said...

St Lucia is so beautiful and creatively made with the 5 stitches. I'm sure she would be one to become, later, Miss Sweden.
So far I've read 3 of the stories and will read the rest later. I love crayfish but can't remember how long it's been that we ate any. They are tiny these days- nothing like when I was pre-teen.
Thanks for sharing Queenie.

jacaranda said...

I also had not heard of this tradition, she is beautiful. The Light in the Hair must be a beautiful sight with the white gowns. Thank you for sharing the link.

Rachel said...

Well done - that's a great success!

Janie said...

Sue as St. Lucia, of course!
And creative rendition too. Your stump work
portrait is well done, tis the season.

Annet said...

Sue is a pretty Saint Lucia!

Julie Fukuda said...

It has been many years since I last saw Santa Lucia. and in my multicultural world, Sue taking part in this ceremony works perfectly.

Renee said...

These are stunning!