Wednesday 29 August 2018

WIPW - Out With the Whip!

Sorry to report late on my Work In Progress Wednesday. There are still a few hours left of the day so here goes.

Crazy for Crazy
I have been whipping chains! First I made a simple Chain Stitch along a seam, then I whipped each side. Sharon Boggon of Pintangel calls this Whipped Chain version 2 in her Stitch Dictionary.
Along the undulating edge of the lace I added Chain Stitches and whipped them straight over, Whipped Chain version 1.
Both versions can be seen and learned here.
I like version 2 better, it makes such a nice heart shaped line of stitches, similar to Magic Chain.

I then made a circle of Fern Stitch and added a French Knot on each arm stretching outwards.


More work next week, and there will also be a birthday card to report on.

12 comments:

Pamela said...

This is gorgeous! Great colors and stitches!

chitra said...

I too like the whipped chain version 2 better than version one. if done in same threads, it gives a thick chain effect, it resembles closely worked open chain stitch. a lovely looking block.

Janie said...

Beautiful work, Queenie.
I like the whipped chain stitch, both versions. It's a good outline and looks good with contrasting colors.
Your crazy block is a treasure of color and embroidery!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I prefer the second version too. It looks like alternating colours chain stitch.

Rachel said...

Coming along very nicely!

Queeniepatch said...

With thicker thread it would make much more impact. Now it blends in 'too much'. Next time I will use perle instead of stranded floss.

Queeniepatch said...

In this block I have used a lot of thin threads so the impact is not that strong. The Whipped Chain stitch would have looked better in a heavier thread.

Queeniepatch said...

It does, doesn't it? A close up photo, or with larger stitches in thicker threads you would be able to see the individual hearts of knitting.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you. I will use these stitches on other blocks in future, but in thicker threads to show them off better.

jacaranda said...

Stunning work.

Julie Fukuda said...

I am interested in your variety of threads. I am thinking of trying a "big stitch" on the black and white quilt. I read some quilters use pearl cotton but I wonder if it comes in more than one thickness.

FlashinScissors said...

Beautiful block, Queenie!
Barbara x