Friday 20 April 2018

Friday Homework for Lesson 57: Figure-Eight Knot Stitch

The Figure-Eight Knot Stitch is an easy stitch, to learn and to do, but difficult to master. Confused? Well it is easy to stitch it, but the lower loop can come loose, move around and give the stitch an untidy look. It was hard to make it stay put.
If you want something with wild structure or untamed style, then this is the stitch for you.

Look at the stitches on the Aida sampler! The are ready to stand up and walk away!

They seem to behave better on the Sunday Stitch School Reference Chart.

On the scribble cloth I made a small flower, a blue clover? I think the Figure-Eight Knot Stitch looks splendid as a petal!

So splendid I made another flower, I will show the rest of this crazy quilt block on WIPW next week.










12 comments:

Rachel said...

Even simple stitches can be hard to do well, but I must admit this one seems to take "challenging" to a whole new level!

Janie said...

'Stand up and walk away'! That's funny.
That stitch does make a nice clover, good for petals.
How did you get it to behave?

Queeniepatch said...

The first stitches I made gave me no trouble but then suddenly the naughty ones came along - I think I must have tugged at the fabric so the lower loops came loose.

Queeniepatch said...

I think the key to success is choosing the right type of thread; something coarse with a nap, wool would probably be great. The clover was stitched in a thread that is not smooth or slippery, so the loops got hooked to each other.
However, if I handled the cloth or even washed it I think the clover would wilt and shed its petals.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Naughty stitch but excellent blue clover.

crazyQstitcher said...

I like both your flower varieties - the stitch works well as leaves also. The I admit it took me quite a few tries before I was happy with the stitch. My final effort was to hold down the small loop while I juggled the rest. Not as complicated as that sounds and I liked the result.

Pamela said...

Interesting stitch ,and I will note that it behaves differently with different threads.

FlashinScissors said...

I love the way you’ve used this stitch and really must try it out, although if it can’t be washed I can’t use it on my bag/sampler. I must experiment.
Hugs,
Barbara xxx

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, isn't it just perfect for the clover?

Queeniepatch said...

Your trick works, but I think the important thing is to have a thread that is a bit fibrous and thereby keeps the stitch under control.

Queeniepatch said...

The more stitches you learn, the more you see the personality they have!

Queeniepatch said...

I hope you give it a try. It is great for free form plants and wildlife.