Wednesday 14 March 2018

WIPW - Light purple

Work In Progress Wednesday.

Crazy for Crazy

I first made a blank block of light purple pieces, ribbon, ric-rac and a tufty braid that I injected in a seam in four arches.
I basted some waste fabric along the edges so that the block will sit nicely in a hoop.

The ric-rac was fastened with Buttonholed Fly Stitch.
With minty green silk thread I made a woven circle. This will be framed and decorated further.

I followed the instructions for this 'visible mending' in a most magnificent book by Elizabeth Healey.

'Stitch, Fabric & Thread' is jam-packed with ideas and how-tos, it is a most inspirational book with excellent instructions. Many of Elizabeth Healey's ideas will find their way into this Crazy for Crazy quilt.
Apart from teaching a lot of practical things, the book contains a wealth of information about each technique. E.g. there are six pages on Mola and while making the Mola bag, I not only learned how to do the reverse appliqué and an alternative in felt,  but also found out a lot about the Cuna Indians and their situation.

The purple flower is a cut-out from a piece of lace. So far I have only added a few green stitches, there will be beads added at a later stage.
A spray of Feather Stitch is the foundation to a sprig of flowers.

More progress next week.


15 comments:

Rachel said...

That's a very good start. The greens help to "lift" the purples.

Pamela said...

The purples look great together and you've chosen some beautiful stitches for embellishing. Do you read Elizabeth Healy's blog? http://elizabethsquarters.blogspot.jp

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, I am following the colour wheel and selected colours at 1/4 (straight across the wheel and half of that, if that makes sense?)...

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you.
Yes, I want each block to feature only one colour but in different tones and shades. The threads will be in a contrasting colour, sometimes, like in this case, a bit off.
Yes, I have followed Elizabeth's blog for years. She makes such great things.

Janie said...

I'm excited to see this new block start. Nice work Queenie.
Thanks for sharing Elizabeth's blog, I didn't know about it, and her book is excellent

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Excellent start on your purple block. The woven circle looks interesting. By the way I bought the 'Crazy' book and I've started a block.

crazyQstitcher said...

I like all the additions. Lovely flower. I thought the Woven circle was a piece of cut fabric. Neat stitching!

jacaranda said...

Beautiful stitching, the soft green is lovely against the mauve's.

Queeniepatch said...

EH is a very skillful graphic designer and all her textile work is delight to the eye!

Queeniepatch said...

Oh, how nice to hear! I hope you find Sharon's book as useful and inspiring as I have. Elizabeth Healey's book is maybe even more 'up your sleeve'.

Queeniepatch said...

It was fun to make the visible woven circle, but it was not as easy as I had thought. maybe the scale is a bit too small? Or if I had used one colour in the weft and another in the warp...

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you, Jenni, yes I like the colour comb, too.

Tanya said...

It looks like you are having so much fun with your crazy quilt!

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, this is my cup of tea!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I have found Sharon's book useful and I'll put the other one on my list.