Sunday 5 February 2017

Sunday Stitch School - Revision: Stitches 6 - 10

The last six lessons of Sunday Stitch School have taught me these stitches: Four Sided, Gate, Heavy Chain, Interlaced Running and Japanese Darning.

Here is a summery of my impressions.

Four Sided Stitch
It is easy and rhythmical. Each square could be used to frame crosses, knots, beads or sequins. Apart from that it is obviously great for filling empty spaces.


 Gate Stitch
A descriptive name for this stitch which indeed looks like a gate. It makes a compact filling stitch but also gives you a proper gate in a fence.


Heavy Chain Stitch
Oh, this fun and easy to work stitch leaves a rich cordlike line and can be a good replacement when you want something more dominant than a stem stitch. It 'writes' well and is perfect for monogramming or handwriting.


Interlaced Running Stitch
My box of fancy threads asked to be opened and out came cries of 'Use ME' and 'I want to LACE those Running stitches'. It was so much fun playing around with them all. There is no end to how this stitch can be spaced, curved and laced.


Japanese Darning Stitch
Worked row upon row it makes a  neat filling stitch, while in two rows it forms a unique ornamental border. As far as I can see it has no connection to Japanese embroidery.



Revision Homework:
Use the five stitches on this modern design of Sunbonnet Sue.

18 comments:

Pamela said...

I like your modern Sunbonnet Sue so much better than the original! Great recap on the recent stitches.

Queeniepatch said...

Sunbonnet Sue is a very traditional design, 83 years, if I remember correctly, and she often feature engaged in various activities.
I thought a fashion show of Sue would be fun, Hippy Sue or Executive Sue, and then a slim model Sue... I had an email exchange with a quilter who has made lots os Sunbonnet Sue designs, and I am wondering how she feels about my design here....

margaret said...

a good variety of stitches here that will make for a lovely slim sunbonnet Sue

Queeniepatch said...

It is a challenge to find the best place for each stitch on Sue's body and clothes.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Loved the recap of your recent stitch school stitches. I REALLY like Modern Sue!
xx, Carol

Stitching Lady said...

Very nice new stitches - the square one is known to me from pulled threads work.
I am lazy - I won't make the home work - can you forgive me?

carorose said...

I like your idea of the fashion show. That could be fun.

Queeniepatch said...

First I want to state that in no way do I mean to poke fun at the traditional quilt pattern.
I think you can make a lot of the idea of a human shape with the face concealed.
The cute Sue is of course chubby, traditionally dressed and engaged in something domestic or a game.
The adult Sue could be a business woman or a mother pushing a pram or she could be anorexicly slim.
She could be Queen Sue weighed down by her crown or widowed Sue underneath a veil....

Queeniepatch said...

Anneliese, this stitch school and its homework is for ME. No one needs to take part but ME! Go on being lazy!

Queeniepatch said...

I was thinking of folk costumes, or how the length and width of the skirt has changed over the decades. There might be other Revision Homework Sues!

crazyQstitcher said...

Your Sunbonnet Sue, looks ready to go to either The Races or the Opera, with glasses ready to hand. I like her, she's a classy lady.
I'm pleased you do a weekly revision...I have found I missed the Interlaced Running stitch, which I'll do tomorrow.

Annet said...

Love your modern Sunbonnet Sue design! Do you mind if I use your design too?

Queeniepatch said...

She was fun and easy to do, just slimmed her down and stretched her taller.
Oh, you must play with the Interlaced Running stitch!

Queeniepatch said...

Please do. Or make your own design. It is nice not to have to embroider or quilt the face as it is the most difficult part of the body.
Sue's face can be hidden under a sunbonnet, an umbrella or behind a book or a newspaper even! Have fun!

chitra said...

Lovely Sunbonnet Sue design. looking forward to your interesting stitch treatments on her.

Queeniepatch said...

I am almost done. Some stitches worked out better than others, but it was FUN.

Julie Fukuda said...

That heavy chain really looks useful to me.

Queeniepatch said...

It is a useful stitch, and easy too!