Sunday 26 February 2017

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 13: Mountmellick Stitch

Welcome to Sunday Stitch School.
We have now reached 'M' in this alphabetically arranged list of embroidery stitches. Today's lesson features a stitch called Mountmellick Stitch. It is one of the main stitches of the Irish Mountmellick embroidery. It has an interesting history and no one can tell it better than Nordic Needle. Read it here.

The stitch is not all new to me, in my personal needlework history, I have used it a number of times. Once I found it in a library book and gave it a try. Beautiful result. Then I took part in a workshop of Mountmellick Embroidery at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham some years back. We started on a small panel and completed it at home.



This form of Whitework has no pulled stitches nor any cut areas or eyelets. It should be stitched on sturdy fabric with a strong thread, and be able to withstand harsh washing, even boiling.

I think the stitch is very pretty in itself and can be used for any kind of embroidery, stitched on any type of fabric and with any kind of thread.


Work it like this:









On my Aida sampler it looks like this:
Where you can see I have changed the spacing and length of the 'legs'.

Homework:
You have free hands to do something with this piece of red cotton and variegated mint green #8Pearl.

Unlike the last stitch (Lace Stitch) the Mountmellick Stitch has no other name, to my knowledge. I even doubt it has a foreign name.
Mattia has just told me that it is called Broderie Mountmellick in French, but I think that might refer to the embroidery  style so I guess it would be called Point Mountmellick ?




20 comments:

Shami Immanuel said...

Beautiful stitch. I have seen this stitched worked only on white thread. Is it involved in white work?

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you for the link, a lot of interesting info - a lovely read! I had heard of Mountmellick stitch, but have never stitched it. Nice to see your stitches!
Barbara x

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, it is a form of Whitework, but unlike other types there are no holes, made by cutting out fabric, drawing threads together or piercing the fabric with a stiletto.

Queeniepatch said...

I once saw an antique bedspread and it was impressive with the sturdy fabric and the 'embossed' embroidery, all snowy white from washing.

Julie Fukuda said...

Today a friend gave me a book of Stitchery by Shirley Marein published in 1974. It has quite a variety of stitches but I don't see that one. It even has some left handed instructions.

carorose said...

Mountmellick work was very popular back in the late 1800 and early 1900. Then went right out of fashion for a while. It can be very pretty and serviceable.

Queeniepatch said...

Lucky you, so now we can expect to see a lot of embroidery on your future quilts!

Queeniepatch said...

A lot of needlework go in and out of fashion, and somewhere along the way it might change and take on a new look.

margaret said...

Love Mountmellick work have a great book on it, time I pulled it off the shelf and had a browse!

Queeniepatch said...

It's a great stitch, and I think it can be used in many more ways than the traditional Mountmellick embroidery style.
Have a good browse!

Anonymous said...

Je mets à jour le nom des points en français :
11 - knotted satin stitch : je n'ai rien trouvé en français (mais je cherche encore) ;
12 - point turc
13 - broderie mountmellick
Mattia

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you for this translation, Mattia:
I update the name of the points in French:
11 - knotted satin stitch: I found nothing in French (but I am still looking);
12 - Turkish point
13 - embroidery mountmellick

Annet said...

Another stitch from my to-do-list! Many years ago I bought the beginners guide for mountmelick embroidery with some pretty patterns. I'm sure it will look nice on this pretty red fabric.

Janie said...

I enjoy visiting and getting a good story on stitching or fabric, makes my morning!
I've got some Irish roots so this is interesting to me.
This kind of work is unique in that is supposed to be used and washed lots,
Being able to use a beautiful piece is a good thing.
Thanks for sharing.

Queeniepatch said...

I truly enjoyed making the little project at the workshop in Birmingham, but my dream is to have a large size bedcover... On second thoughts it might be impossible to clean; I haven't got a pot large enough to boil it in, ha, ha!
If you find the time, do try this stitch, and the whole embroidery style.

Queeniepatch said...

Janie, I enjoy reading your comments! You have such thoughtful things to say. Yes, it is unusual to recommend boiling embroideries, isn't it!?

Wendy said...

oh, that is a pretty stitch! I have a Montmellick kit so no doubt I'll be meeting this stitch.

Queeniepatch said...

Mountmellick stitch is enjoyable and the embroidery style charming. I do hope you will start on that kit one day soon. Happy Stitching.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

This is another stitch I need to revisit.

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, it is well worth a visit!