Friday 3 February 2017

Friday Homework for Lesson 10: Japanese Darning Stitch

Way in the past, when I saw the Japanese Darning Stitch in books, I thought it must be an easy stitch. After giving it a half hearted try once, it turned out all wrong and I abandoned my attempt. That is why I choose this stitch for Sunday Stitch School's tenth lesson. I  HAD  to master it.

Once I got the hang of the spacing, it was easy-peasy and most enjoyable. I think it would indeed be a decorative darning stitch and fun to add to a Crazy Quilt seam, maybe with other stitches added.

I wanted to explore more, but did not find the time, so here is the set homework :

Chitra of Jizee6687's weblog has some stunning ways of working the Japanese Darning Stitch. Check them out here.

12 comments:

Pamela said...

I love how this looks! When I get back to my crazy quilt blocks, I will use it along a seam.

Elizabeth's quarters said...

I love this stitch and will be trying it out. It's not flashy like a knot, bullion, or fancy chain stitch but has everything I like, a simple build up of straight lines to form a pleasing texture and pattern.

Queeniepatch said...

It looks very different when limited to two rows of Running stitches; it becomes a beautiful seam embellishment or border. Fill a whole area and you get something different. I like both looks.

Queeniepatch said...

I thought you would like it with its simple yet striking geometric pattern. it's easy to stitch, too!

Janie said...

Very effective! I like how the stitch looks next to the stitches in green too.

Queeniepatch said...

Aha, you remind me that I need to pay attention to what colour I pick for my sampler stitches in future! This was just a 'lucky' choice of colour.

Annet said...

This is a great filling pattern, it's still on my to-do-list!

carorose said...

I makes a great filling stitch.

Queeniepatch said...

I think it is spectacular, and with a bit of attention will look good on plain weave too, but on even weave it is so easy.

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, and it looks modern, too. Blank and white or charcoal grey and electric green...

chitra said...

very neatly done sampler. I love the colour. The stitches are even and it does make a great filling stitch. Thanks for the motivation.

Queeniepatch said...

I was so impressed with your diagonally worked Japanese Darning stitches, but here they 'needed' be be straight in the little area I was working on.