Wednesday 21 September 2016

WIPW - Three Cheers for TAST

Work In Progress Wednesday no longer includes the HC (Himeji Castle) quilt as I completed it last week. This will give me a chance to speed up progress on Trinity Green - I thought. There was another birthday, though, and I made a card.

Trinity Green
I added another 270 triangles and the total is now 4,752:

Fabric in Focus
I don't know if you can call this 'designer' fabric, but it is sold at IKEA, the Swedish furniture giant whose shops pop up like mushrooms all over the world.
Typical for Swedish prints, and maybe especially IKEA, is the large scale of the design. It makes it hard to use for small pieces in patchwork. So I fussy cut the green areas, ignored the cute animals and just salvaged the green.


Birthday Card

I wanted to make a simple birthday card and picked a few of the TAST stitches I have recently been having Second Helpings of.
Three Cheers for TAST!
Light blue is #95 Linked Chain Stitch
Turquoise is #14 Stem Stitch
Blue with orange links is #104 Buttonholed Cable Chain Stitch
Blue with beads is #26 Up and Down Buttonhole Stitch
I also added an appliquéd dot (with a plastic cup inside)

22 comments:

Shami Immanuel said...

OMG 4752 triangles. Eager to see the finished one. The stitches in the card are perfect.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you!

Pamela said...

What a great card! Beautiful stitches. I'm amazed by how many greens you have!

crazyQstitcher said...

A lovely and unique birthday card. Made to make one smile :-))

margaret said...

Queenie the card is lovely and your triangles just keep growing and growing. Have not seen the Ikea fabric so must pop over and check it out, it is just a 2 bus bus ride for me.

Queeniepatch said...

Don't waste your bus fare on a trip to IKEA for THAT fabric; it was a gift and I guess long out of stock. Some of IKEA's prints are small and delicate, but too many are just too large to be suitable for patchwork.

Queeniepatch said...

The birthday 'boy' is 90 and I wanted to use stitches with structure so his fingers can feel where his eyesight might fail.

Queeniepatch said...

There are so many different greens that one thinks they are not all green!

Janie said...

Your triangle collection is looking good. The birthday card is a great idea with your beautiful hand embroidery.

Julie Fukuda said...

I was tasked with cutting up some fabric for a craft project. It was quite similar as to areas of white and color and needed lots of fussy-cutting.

Anonymous said...

A fun fabric to use, very ikea! The card is lovely, such a creative design.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you!

Queeniepatch said...

I felt rather bad about all the wasted white fabric (the animal bodies) but I have no plan for how to use it so it was just put aside.

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, isn't it very IKEA?

chitra said...

4752 triangles. Really amazing. very pleasing green of IKEA fabric. the card looks fabulous and neat. I love your buttonholed cable chain stitch.

Wendy said...

I love the card. Less is more!

Queeniepatch said...

I love the Buttonholed Cable Chain stitch, too. Easy to make and so impressive looking. I think it was a success to use orange for the basic Cable Chain and long links, and blue for the Buttonholing.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you.
With some complicated looking (but easy to make) stitches you don't need more than a few to make a simple card look impressive.

carorose said...

great card idea. Must add it to my list.

Queeniepatch said...

Many TAST stitches are so beautiful you only need a few simple lines thread in pretty colours that contrast with the foundation fabric and you have a little card. A good way to use up small things from the stash.

FlashinScissors said...

Hi Queenie, I'm sure you will find a use for the white scraps in future.
Your birthday card is wonderful! Such a clever idea, and such pretty stitches, and it's so exciting to see your triangles progressing.
Barbara x

Séverine said...

Your birthday card is beautiful: beautiful colors , beautiful stitches.