Saturday 13 July 2013

TAST - #73 Portuguese Stem Stitch

Time has come to show the TAST stitch of the week, #73 Portuguese Stem Stitch. It is an easily mastered rope like stitch. Want to give it a try? Go to Pintangle and learn.

I have seen other names, like Portuguese Knotted Stem Stitch, but there is actually no knot in it.
Also I found, in a Swedish embroidery book, Hemmets Handarbetslexikon, the following information:
They call it Spanish Stem Stitch (Spansk Stjälksöm), and notice that the wraps are taken only over the top stitch! Or is this a totally different stitch?

Anyway, here is my take on the stitch. I used my new stencils to draw both heart and curvy lines.
























The first time I used Portuguese Stem Stitch was during the Sumptuous Surface Embroidery course and like that time I used some pulled stitches here for the centre of the heart.


16 comments:

Pamela said...

You are making wonderful use of your new stencils and your stitches are beautiful!

Annet said...

Portuguese stem stitch is great for outlines. I think the stitch in your book is different, maybe I try to stitch it when I stitch my Portuguese stem stitch.

margaret said...

like Pamela says Queenie you are making great use of Sharon`s stencils and have given me ideas too thanks

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you, Pamela. This is a stitch that has taken a place in my heart.

Queeniepatch said...

I did try it and the wraps aren't anchored properly and the line becomes a lumpy rope! I have seen other 'strange' illustrations for some stitches which are actually impossible to do. Give it a try, though; if anyone can tame a stitch it is you.

Queeniepatch said...

The stencils open up new possibilities and the lines get so NEAT. Great for a person with scrawly handwriting and line drawing.

Anonymous said...

I like this stitch, it looks a very solid stitch and could be very useful for a lot of things!

Queeniepatch said...

You're right, Susan. It is a useful stitch and it curves beautifully unlike the plain stem stitch that can end up sharp and jerky.

carorose said...

I like your use of the stitch. I have used it, with little success, before and always found another stitch to do the job. I will try again after seeing what you have done.

Queeniepatch said...

I think it is a stitch worthy of a second chance! Have fun!

Lins Artyblobs said...

Your stitching looks very neat. The illustrations in the book look easy to follow.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you for your kind words, Linda
The illustrations ARE easy to follow, but they are different from Sharon's and the directions in other books. If you follow the ones in my new book, the stitches are not THAT neat as they only wrap one strand of thread and slide up and down. I prefer to wrap around both the old and the new stitch and get that 'knotted' rope like look.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Sure have been hearing a lot of good things about Sharon's stencils. Just might have to invest in some. Portuguese Stem Stitch looks like another great stitch to know.

sharonb said...

Great variation of this stitch - I am going to try it! Thanks for sharing

Queeniepatch said...

The stencils are great; just what a CQ stitcher needs!

Queeniepatch said...

The difference is not THAT great and the 'Spanish' stem stitch is slightly trickier to control. If you haven't already seen Annet's report, go to Fat-Quarter and check it out: http://fat-quarter.blogspot.de/2013/07/portuguese-stem-stitch.html?showComment=1375221104651